WELCOME BACK, Guest!!
SG2Tiger
Site Creator | Graphics | Sprites

Alex. Calling me SG2 for OOC stuff is fine too. Freelance artist and general art and graphics hobbyist. I like my animu and mangoes, if you couldn't tell. My video games are my children. Also I like cats.

SG2Tiger | Bracken | Ten
Tim
Tech Support | Domain | Servers | IRC

Tim is currently working on his bio in the meantime enjoy some placeholder words like this and that and the other one and oh that's a pretty cool word too words words words words words

character profile
Iris
Assistant | Greeter

My name is Julia, though you're welcome to call me Iris OOC if you'd like. When I'm not roleplaying I like to read, make jewelry, and eat chocolate.

character profile

Forum Seem Inactive?
Don't worry - we're not dead!! Most of our activity has just moved to DISCORD.
Join Our Server
We’ve even got our own custom bot. Come join us and check it out!! The forum WILL REMAIN available.

Add Reply
New Poll

SG2's Artwork
Esjitu
 Posted: Apr 11 2014, 12:58 AM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Just gonna post a link to my deviantART for now because I am lazy, but I'll try to post some stuff in this thread from time to time.

>>deviantART<<
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: May 8 2014, 12:10 AM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Hmm, maybe I ought to plug my commissions here...

I can draw your IGNO char, an OC, or whatevs!! Even if you just want me to draw you a quick derp for an avatar or something (ex. Bradios) it'd help me out!!
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Aug 15 2014, 01:09 AM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Apparently I never made an IGNO sprites thread on this board so whatevs I'mma post this here. Decided to work on a sprite for my new OC and it ended up taking much longer than anticipated...decided to make a crappy MS Paint (though MS Paint is where I made the sprite in the first place) flowchart thing to explain my process for making the IGNO portraits, in case anyone was ever interested in that...

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/BGCOUpr.png)

Basically in this particular case I'd already done an OC with a mohawk before - Ryksos, the redhead tattoo guy on the left. On the right is the sprite I made for that short-lived jerk Khaos - looking through faces I thought Kent was a good base before realizing I'd already used him before, and on someone who had a little goatee to boot. So I thought that'd be a shortcut...though I ended up grabbing bits and pieces of beard from a bunch of other guys anyways.

Smashed all that jazz together, tidied up part of the mohawk and plopped it on top. Recolored the hair to match and darkened the skin, for which I had to make a custom palette because I couldn't eyedrop anything ideal from other FE portraits.

Believe it or not I think I spent the most time getting frustrated over the eyes...you can't see all my failed attempts here but simply recoloring the default style didn't work well with the golden-yellow color, because it got lost in the whites (which I had to expand from the original since the 'whites' are basically the same as the lightest shade of skin color on the original light-skinned portrait). Anyways he kept coming out looking cross-eyed and weird because I couldn't get the other eye to match (#artistproblems) but I eventually managed to make it work...was still unsure for a while but it started looking better to me the further I progressed on the rest of the sprite.

Added the piercings, nabbed the horns from the Gaia sprite and traced/recolored them to match. Spent quite a while getting the positioning right on those, too, because either the second horn wound up nearly invisible or clipped the mohawk in a way that made no sense, so I basically had to compromise and redo part of the hair to overlap the second horn while not obscuring it completely.

Also had trouble getting a good color for the horns - at that point the hair was still all black and they just plain were not visible against it. I wasn't sure how to do the black-and-white twotone mohawk in the style of the Gaia portrait, or my interpretation in the sketch I drew of him the other day so I decided to just change it so the whole mohawk was white and the shorter hair on the sides was black instead. Didn't like it at first when I experimented on the sketch but it looked better when I added more spikes so it didn't look so 'blank' (which is probably why it looked really wrong to me just repainting it). It looked cool on the sprite anyways, but I wanted to make sure I liked it in general because the sprites basically become the canon designs...

Once I finally stopped being so wishy-washy on that, all I had left was the body. I was gonna use the body I used for Naked LG but it looked awkward with the head angle...so the plan was to edit the other arm onto the character that Bradios and Atlas' torsos are based on, conveniently covered with a shoulderpad...that was just gonna be even more work but fortunately I didn't get very far before I remember I had some other people's Fire Emblem customs I'd found online in my folder and it conveniently had a fully-shirtless bandit-looking guy on there. So thank you, whoever you are that made that, hope you don't mind me stealing it. Definitely saved me some work, and I kinda like that armband anyways so fuck the tattoos from the Gaia avatar (scrapped the chest scar as well because I didn't care enough about it to spend even more time on the sprite).

Pretty happy with how the end result turned out, considering. I even grabbed Kent's mouthflaps and recolored the open mouth into a grin and that worked pretty well too, though I decided to keep the regular mouth in the end. All it took was two extra pixels in the corner to turn Kent's seriousface into a sly smile, anyways. Might use the grin version as a cbox icon.

I was also thinking, as I started, that I'd have to take Khaos' icon off the adoption list because I used it as a base, but having had to change the eyes, add the full beard, the dark skin and everything...you can barely even recognize that I used Kent/Khaos as a base. So yeah!! Probably my best portrait to date.

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/ShTqBXv.png)

So if you were ever wondering how I make the IGNO sprites, there you have it. In most cases it's not quite as complicated as this one (though Iris' took about as long, trying to get all the details of her outfit/hat/wings and all in there), and some of them are as easy as slapping one head on another body and recoloring some stuff, but it really depends on the character.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by missy at caution and shine.