WELCOME BACK, Guest!!
SG2Tiger
Site Creator | Graphics | Sprites

Alex. Calling me SG2 for OOC stuff is fine too. Freelance artist and general art and graphics hobbyist. I like my animu and mangoes, if you couldn't tell. My video games are my children. Also I like cats.

SG2Tiger | Bracken | Ten
Tim
Tech Support | Domain | Servers | IRC

Tim is currently working on his bio in the meantime enjoy some placeholder words like this and that and the other one and oh that's a pretty cool word too words words words words words

character profile
Iris
Assistant | Greeter

My name is Julia, though you're welcome to call me Iris OOC if you'd like. When I'm not roleplaying I like to read, make jewelry, and eat chocolate.

character profile

Forum Seem Inactive?
Don't worry - we're not dead!! Most of our activity has just moved to DISCORD.
Join Our Server
We’ve even got our own custom bot. Come join us and check it out!! The forum WILL REMAIN available.

Add Reply
New Poll

Skins
Esjitu
 Posted: Apr 9 2014, 05:00 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

The skins topic, where I announce any time skins are added or removed. Or where you can talk about your favorite skins, or the sort of skins you'd like to see!! But mostly the former, probably.

At this moment the wonderful avey of ATF (a resource board for Jcink) is making us a custom skin with the same color scheme as Flashback Blues on ZB, which I've come to see as the signature colors of IGNO (blacks and blues).

Why are those are signature colors, you ask? Mostly because those were the colors of the skin we used for the longest time back in the Invisionfree days (when you could only upload one skin at a time, so everyone had to use the same skin). Since we've been on ZB I've uploaded countless skins, and almost always had a wide variety to choose from in the skin selector at any given time. Because of that we never really had a true, unified theme for IGNO until Flashback Blues, where I brought that style back. I'm not just rambling, though - I'm talking about our old Invisionfree skins for a reason!!

SINCE JCINK IS BASICALLY THE SAME FORUM SOFTWARE AS INVISIONFREE, IT'S COMPATIBLE WITH INVISIONFREE SKINS. So I pretty much had no choice but to upload our good ol' IF skin...in all its terrible, outdated glory (complete with all the mismatched graphics and ugly banner)!! Check out INVISIONS OF THE PAST if you're feeling like a trip back in time.

But that's not all!! The reason I decided to upload that skin was because Jcink comes with the option to do a one-click install of a handful of premade skins from the ACP...one of which looked very familiar to me...this was the other skin we used on Invisionfree, in the latter years before our move to ZB!! The skin is called Acidic Darkness, officially, but I've given it the name of MOUNTAIN DEW for reasons that should be self-explanatory, especially to those who were around in the IF days. Like Invisions of the Past, I've included the original crappy banner I made back then, though I haven't changed the default graphics that came with the Jcink install (I'm pretty sure the buttons we used on IGNO were different).

So yeah - two very dated, oldschool skins for you to choose from, and a much nicer, more modern skin to be our default coming soon. I also plan to find a pleasant light skin for those who prefer brighter colors to use if they so choose. Keep your eyes open - and who knows, by the time you read this, they may already be available!!

I DECIDED TO DISABLE THE NOSTALGIA SKINS. While it was an exciting little novelty when I discovered that Invisionfree skins could be used on Jcink, logically there are very few of us still around who were there in the Invisionfree days, and even fewer of us who would care enough about the nostalgia to actually use one of those severely outdated skins instead of our classy default style. I didn't delete them, just hid them...it seems like the sort of thing I'd probably bring back for April Fools or something, but beyond that, there's simply no need.

This post has been edited by SG2Tiger: May 15 2014, 09:58 PM
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: May 7 2014, 07:43 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

So of course you've all noticed that our one-of-a-kind custom skin for IGNO has been created :D it is and will continue to be the board default probably forever.

However, I know not everyone prefers dark themes, so I did also upload a light alternative (there are a ton of premade light skins, and next to no dark ones, which is why I requested one) - it's called bittersweet symphony and is the right balance between light and colorful Give A Little More, which I liked a little more than bittersweet symphony. I've modified the colors and fonts somewhat (allowed) so it suits IGNO more. fdjdgdkhjdfgdhf I disabled that too, it used way too many fonts, had forced capslock in many places, and just wasn't quite what I wanted.

You may notice however that you can't just scroll to the bottom of the board and change your skin...I could make it so you can, but I don't want to, because it would take away from the specialness of our custom theme. For people who really want to use something else, you'll have to work for it a bit:

Go to My Controls and scroll down until you see Skin and Languages on the side. You can choose your skin there. Switching back to Welcome to IGNOLand is an easy matter because all the other skins do have a skin switcher at the bottom of the board.

You can currently choose from our default (dark), bittersweet symphony Give A Little More (light), and the two 'retro' skins we used on Invisionfree (Mountain Dew and Invisions of the Past; again, these are both kinda terrible by modern web standards so you probably shouldn't use them unless you really want the nostalgia). Both the dark and light skins are using the same mini profile, have the same links and affiliates in the sidebar, and quick links in the banner, so it just comes down to aesthetic preference.

This topic is just a mess of strikethrough now kshsjsfshjdakjagytf
PMEmail
^
Witch of Uncertainty

online status

Vampire
character race

Shadow N/A
element

208 posts
N/A
ooc name

Is there any way to edit general/default text size for either skin?

The font is REALLY tiny for both the IGNOland and bittersweet skins so they're both kind of hard to read on. It's even worse for the IGNOland skin (at least for me) because tiny white text on a overbearing black background = frequent headaches and eyeaches, especially when it's combined with the walls of text that tend to happen here a lot. But it might be less of a problem if we could increase text size?

~VelkynKarma
PM
^
Esjitu
 Posted: May 9 2014, 11:05 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

I could bump it up. I believe it's 11 right now, maybe 12 would be better because that's often the 'standard' font size for papers and stuff? I'd just have to edit the CSS.
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: May 15 2014, 10:17 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

OKAY both of the light skins I had tried just weren't working out, so I went ahead and just made a light version of our default skin, which I probably should have done in the first place. It's not perfect, but it's good enough. So if you don't like the dark colors, check out IGNOLand Days, the companion to the now-renamed IGNOLand Nights (formerly Welcome to IGNOLand.). If you don't like the actual skin, not just the colors, well then tough luck for you because that's all you get for now. I'll probably provide some additional choices in the future, but I'm planning for our Grand Opening tomorrow (advertising and whatnot; wanted to wait a few weeks after getting the old members back to get some activity going first - basically y'all were invited to the movie premiere before the public opening). I just think it'd be generally less confusing to just have two choices for now.

AND since those two choices are now the exact same skin with a different color palette, I decided to add the skin selector to the bottom of the board. That's the main reason I actually removed all the alts. So now you can switch between the two skins on the fly, which might be particularly useful if you want to use one in the day and one at night (hence the names).
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Dec 15 2014, 06:26 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Gone ahead and added a third skin - it's called 'Minimal' and is based on Purple Cannonball from CAUTION. I've recolored it to match our default color scheme, increased the size of the post body font (still favors small fonts for 90% of the skin though, I couldn't be bothered to change every last one of them but posts are at least more readable), and a few other minor tweaks.

So why add an alternate if it's just going to be the same color scheme as the default? Mostly because I wanted something more minimalistic as an option. While our default skin is already light on images (mostly just forum markers), this uses an even more stripped-down macro set using just unicode symbols for everything - and aside from the background image (which I may even just replace with a solid color) the skin itself is imageless. I can't guarantee it'll load too much faster than the defaults (still got a lot of javascript) but it may be a bit better for those on slower connections.

However the main goal I had in mind was for small devices like netbooks, tablets and of course phones - because while the mobile-friendly skin works decently enough, there are a lot of features that don't function properly from it (like the active topics list and spoiler tags), and you can't just flip to the desktop version for the default skin because the sidebar fucks everything up when you zoom.

So this is my solution for those who want something a bit less intricate than the default, but not quite as stripped down as the mobile view. No sidebar, no banner hover, etc. Cbox is at the bottom like it used to be on ZB. I think I should at least add a row of text links to access the active topics list, IRC, and etc, but for the most part this should be a good middleground for many of you.
PMEmail
^
MrBones
 Posted: Dec 15 2014, 07:54 PM
Konungur af Heimsveldi

online status

Nord
character race

Fire N/A
element

187 posts
John
ooc name

it works ok, 99.999999999999999999999999999% better than the standard skins. I think I'll swap between mobile and minimal as needed.
PM
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Dec 15 2014, 08:22 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

QUOTE (MrBones @ Dec 15 2014, 06:54 PM)
it works ok,  99.999999999999999999999999999% better than the standard skins. I think I'll swap between mobile and minimal as needed.

That's about what I'd expect. The mobile skin still works best on phones, but there are times you may need to view the full site and I think this skin is enough to fill those needs. And for those on slightly larger but still not desktop-sized screens, like tablets and netbooks, this is probably a better alternative than the mobile skin.

Also I've added a bar of links to the essentials to the navigation, just under the user controls.

So now you can still access those links from the default skin's hover and sidebar.
PMEmail
^
Iris
 Posted: Dec 15 2014, 11:04 PM
Feisty Fairy

online status

Fairy
character race

Lіghtning N/A
element

263 posts
Julia
ooc name

I love the new skin! :D now I don't have to squint at the tiny text on mobile. Thanks!
PMWebsite
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Dec 18 2014, 05:49 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Well, everyone has obviously noticed the snow effect we've had for the past few days by now, but it's since been updated to a completely new version written by my friend Mike that should look much nicer. It's supposedly a bit more CPU-intensive (though only if IGNO is your active tab), however, so let me know if you run into any problems with this version.

The light skin variant, IGNOLand Days, continues to use the jquery snowfall effect because the grey tone variation in flakes looked awkward against the white backdrop.

Originally I was planning to remove the effect after New Years, but I may keep it around for the duration of the winter season. I should probably implement a toggle for those Scrooges and Grinches Krampuses who don't like holiday fun, though.

Edit: Toggle button added to sidebar of IGNOLand Nights, and in the top row of links on Minimal. For IGNOLand Days, I don't know how to use toggle for the jquery snow, so there is instead a button to clear it (it won't turn back on if you click again). The snow will return if you refresh the page.
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Apr 2 2015, 12:17 AM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

For those who missed today's shenanigans...

(IMG:http://a.pomf.se/ayzbgg.png)

You can still select the 'A P R I L' skin in the skin selector, if you'd like. But while that was 90% of the prank, there was more to it: I also changed the cbox CSS to match, and of course we had Tru's 'takeover' of the forum. I simply moved his topic from forum to forum, leaving a link to the original behind so effectively his topic was the only thing you'd see on the main page of the board. Finally, I changed my cbox username to xX-5G2T1GeR-Xx complete with low-res icon:

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/N1tQLfb.gif)

LG was the only other person who wanted to get in on that, though :(

Was it all worth the effort for a low-traffic forum, for a single day, and potentially scaring off any new members who wandered in during the past 24 hours?

Well...*I* thought it was funny, so...yes. Yes it was.
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Nov 24 2015, 02:54 AM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

NEW SKIN TIMES!!

Technically, it's one new skin - recolored twice - with some small tweaks made to the existing 'Minimal' skin option (I have a few more tweaks to make to that one too, it's just lower priority). Let's break it down:

IGNOLand NIGHTS: The new default, dark-themed skin, based on french nights by missy of Caution. While ultimately I just made a lot of minor changes to it, the end result is a pretty significant overhaul from its original look, and even more of an overhaul compared to our previous default skin. We have a custom forum structure now, complete with image hover rollovers for all the location forums; a carousel in the header with announcements, quicklinks and staff listing; a cbox on a proper toggle (you'll still have to manually mute/unmute it), new miniprofiles, and all sorts of fancy goodies. In addition, since the miniprofile field had larger avatars than our old skin, I went ahead and made new avatars and miniprofile pics for everyone, many of which are completely new (some of you just got larger crops of your old avatars though, I can only do so much). The 'A P T' links are intended for your App (character profile), as well as an optional Plotter and Ttracker thread to better keep things organized. In any case this, coupled with the revised forum structure, is a lot to take in, so do explore the board a bit and take it all in, giving yourself some time to adjust.

----------------------------------------------------
NOSCRIPT USERS: You must allow elegantexpressions.us to run or the skin will not work!! The script will not harm you in any way, it's merely the custom forum structure system that the default skins employ to style the board index!!
----------------------------------------------------

IGNOLand DAYS is simply a light recolor of IGNOLand Nights. Rather than going the 'inverted colors' route I did with our previous light skin, however (bright whites and greys in contrast to the dark version), I went with a more beige tone because, IMO, it's a bit easier on the eyes while still offering an alternative to anyone who dislikes the dark color scheme of the default. Karma, let me know if you need me to increase the font sizes on that one, since the default fonts of the skin can still be a bit tiny in some places. For that matter, I'd be willing to make some size adjustments to the dark version, as well.

Finally, M I N I M A L is back, with a bit of minor refreshments. For one, I had to do a (sloppy) adjustment of the miniprofile to suit the larger avatars. I also cut down on some of the javascript bloat so it should, in fact, be a more 'minimal' option compared to the defaults, great for people with slower internet connections. Note that there ARE still bits of javascript in this skin!! To remove all the scripts would be to muck up a lot of the tweaks I've made to the board. It's 2015, and it's almost impossible to expect to use the web without tolerating some javascript, but hopefully the performance load of this skin will be considerably less than the defaults with their fancy forum rollovers and shit.

So, in summation, have a general pros/cons list.

IGNOLand DAYS/NIGHTS PROS:

-Carousel header with quick access to useful info
-Toggle cbox
-Custom forum descriptions
-Sexy as fuck

CONS:
-Requires external javascript to function
-May be slower to load on slower internet connections
-(currently) no subforum lists, making navigating nested subforums a pain [working on this!!]

MINIMAL PROS:
-Lighter on javascript
-Imageless macros (though this now applies to most of the defaults' macros as well)
-Faster load times
-Works decently on mobile devices in 'desktop' mode

CONS:
-Tiny font may be hard to see for some people/on some devices (can always be increased)
-Cbox waaaay down at the bottom of page and cannot be toggled hidden
-Custom forum descriptions break, requiring more scrolling and index clutter
-I just don't like the carousel as much

Generally recommended to use the Default skins on a computer to have access to all the board's features. If you have a slow connection and can't handle javascript then Minimal is a good choice. Default's Mobile view should work fine on small-screen devices, but is stripped down like all mobile themes. Minimal works well on smaller devices in both desktop and mobile view, making switching between the two as needed convenient. Worth noting that I did find the desktop version of the default skins looked decent on my phone in landscape mode as well, but the browser I use is pretty good at auto-scaling even websites that don't have 'mobile themes' so they look better and I can't guarantee how it would behave in every mobile browser.

NOTE: Something I noticed when testing the default skins on my laptop - font rendering in Windows is pretty shitty, and that goes double for Firefox users. To prevent some of the fonts on the default theme from being jagged and generally ugly, I strongly recommend Firefox users install MacType. http://nanami-tan.info/#Rendering
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Dec 4 2015, 11:00 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

So I was messing around trying to see if there's a way to change the cbox CSS for multiple skins...but it's pretty much impossible. :/ as a workaround, I just made some custom CSS to override the defaults for people using the light skin.

(IMG:https://i.imgur.com/7gVn0Cv.png)

All you need is something like Stylish, then just create a new style and paste in the following:

CODE
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain('cbox.ws'), url-prefix('http://cbox.ws') {

/***************************
CBOX LIGHT COLORS OVERRIDE
***************************/

td {
color:#3C3B38;
}

.mnbdy {
background-color:#E5E3DF;
}

.fmbdy {
}

A:link {
color:#908981;
}

A:visited {
}

A:active {
color:#206D84;
}

A:hover {
}

.hbtbl {
}

.stxt {
}

.stxt2 {
}

.dtxt {
}

.dtxt2 {
}

.pn_reg {
}

.pn_mod {
}

.pn_adm {
color:#F07405;
}

.frmtb {
background-color:#CAC6BE;
border:#B5ADA6 1px solid;
}

.frmbtn {
background-color:#206D84;
border:#E5E3DF 1px solid;
color:#E4E1DA;
}

.lnk {
}

}

Be aware that this will change the color of ALL cboxes on every website everywhere. I couldn't figure out how to get it to apply to only OUR cbox. But, if you use the light skin, and don't really care about cboxes on other sites (not like you can't just toggle the style on and off as you please anyways), then maybe this will be of use to you.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by missy at caution and shine.