WELCOME BACK, Guest!!
SG2Tiger
Site Creator | Graphics | Sprites

Alex. Calling me SG2 for OOC stuff is fine too. Freelance artist and general art and graphics hobbyist. I like my animu and mangoes, if you couldn't tell. My video games are my children. Also I like cats.

SG2Tiger | Bracken | Ten
Tim
Tech Support | Domain | Servers | IRC

Tim is currently working on his bio in the meantime enjoy some placeholder words like this and that and the other one and oh that's a pretty cool word too words words words words words

character profile
Iris
Assistant | Greeter

My name is Julia, though you're welcome to call me Iris OOC if you'd like. When I'm not roleplaying I like to read, make jewelry, and eat chocolate.

character profile

Forum Seem Inactive?
Don't worry - we're not dead!! Most of our activity has just moved to DISCORD.
Join Our Server
We’ve even got our own custom bot. Come join us and check it out!! The forum WILL REMAIN available.

Add Reply
New Poll

Recommendations
littlegoten
 Posted: Jun 1 2014, 11:01 PM
Gaylian Hero

online status

Gaylian
character race

Light N/A
element

118 posts
N/A
ooc name

Everyone has a couple of animes that they think are awesome and want their friends to check out so what are yours? Plus I really need some sort of recommendation. Just remember to either link to the animes plot synopsis on wiki or write your own little summary.

My biggest recommendation is Hunter X Hunter 2011. This is a shonen but I think that it goes against some of the shonen rules and really is a fun anime to watch, it actually inspired me to read the manga too and the 2011 version of the anime is taken directly from the manga. Honestly this is a fun anime and worth a watch if you're looking for a 100+ episode anime, and it is still on going.
PM
^
Tim
 Posted: Jun 17 2014, 11:10 PM
Clonomancer

online status

Cat Boy
character race

Lіghtning N/A
element

95 posts
Tim
ooc name

My big recommendation would actually be Magi

I really love the main characters in it, plus the depth to some of the others really helps contribute to an interesting series. Its got that good mix of relatable main characters with their quirks as well as those feel good moments as well as an incredible history for the world.

The first season of the anime is called Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic and the second Magi: The Kingdom of Magic. There is 24 episodes per season from memory so its not a massive show either. Although i'm very hopeful that there will be a third!!
PMEmailWebsite
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Jun 27 2016, 01:35 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

I wanted to wait until I properly finished it to make a rec of a shounen I feel does the "genre" justice and reminds me what was so great about it when I was younger and first getting into the whole animu and mango thing. Something that I feel like has largely been lost in the past decade, if not more, of generic battle shounen.

So I'd say, if you enjoy the good aspects of battle shounen, but hate the negatives (generic characters, forced drama, running waaaay too long resulting in story arcs full of asspulls, etc), I would recommend checking out Ushio to Tora.

It's only 39 episodes - the first season was 26, and the second season which just ended was only 13. That's pretty short for a shounen series, all things considered. It starts out with a monster-of-the-week format, but don't let that deter you if it's not your thing, because not only does it further the character development of the protagonists, but *everyone* introduced in those monster-of-the-week episodes comes back and plays a role in the end. They aren't just there to be forgettable throwaway characters who are never seen again. It also starts off very lighthearted and goofy, just the demon-slaying adventures of A Boy And His Giant Monster Tiger Thing, but once the main (and only) story arc kicks off, there are plenty of tense and emotional moments. The second half of the second season especially toyed with my feels. That said, it never gets lost in any kind of grimdark, edgy drama. The characters never lose their personalities for the sake of MUH EDGE, but develop in a natural way.

Overall it's just very well done without falling into a lot of the typical pitfalls of shounen series'. No ridiculous assholes or crazy powerups or 'this isn't even my final form' bullshittery, just a boy and his youkai fighting and befriending other youkai and eventually saving the world from a legitimately unnerving Big Bad youkai. If you have an interest and some time for a slightly longer than average (but not unreasonable) shounen anime, I definitely recommend giving it a look.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by missy at caution and shine.