WELCOME BACK, Guest!!
SG2Tiger
Site Creator | Graphics | Sprites

Alex. Calling me SG2 for OOC stuff is fine too. Freelance artist and general art and graphics hobbyist. I like my animu and mangoes, if you couldn't tell. My video games are my children. Also I like cats.

SG2Tiger | Bracken | Ten
Tim
Tech Support | Domain | Servers | IRC

Tim is currently working on his bio in the meantime enjoy some placeholder words like this and that and the other one and oh that's a pretty cool word too words words words words words

character profile
Iris
Assistant | Greeter

My name is Julia, though you're welcome to call me Iris OOC if you'd like. When I'm not roleplaying I like to read, make jewelry, and eat chocolate.

character profile

Forum Seem Inactive?
Don't worry - we're not dead!! Most of our activity has just moved to DISCORD.
Join Our Server
We’ve even got our own custom bot. Come join us and check it out!! The forum WILL REMAIN available.

Closed
New Poll

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOPIC IN IGNO HISTORY

Should I change my username to Esjitu?
Yes [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
No [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
whAAAAAAT [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
WHY [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
You can but I'll still call you SG2 [ 2 ]  [40.00%]
Why is he called 'Penguinman' if he is neither penguin nor man? [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
If pizza's on a bagel can you truly eat pizza anytime? [ 2 ]  [40.00%]
The pointless poll choices are an old tradition that needs to die already SG2 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
The pointless poll choices are an old tradition that needs to die already Esjitu [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 5

Esjitu
 Posted on Nov 17 2015, 08:57 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Edit: apparently jcink doesn't let you create multiple-option polls? Invisionfree used to so I assumed it would work here too ._. less-nonsense version: http://strawpoll.me/6034532

So this is something I've been wondering for a long time but in the spirit of the whole 'IGNO Overhaul' thing I'm wondering if it's finally the right opportunity for it.

Should I change my character's name to 'Esjitu'?

If you don't get it then say 'Esjitu' aloud. It's literally just SG2 written out phonetically. I think the first time I came up with it was when I first played Guild Wars and was too lazy to use a name generator to give my char a good name, but obviously 'SG2' doesn't sound like an actual NAME someone would have. It's very obviously just a screenname, like xX_CAKE_LUVR_69_Xx. Even though I'm not the only IGNOite who has an acronym as a nickname (LG, MTS, xL) I am the only one who has a random number as part of that nickname, and it has never made sense why that would be my name from an in-universe perspective. Unless I was a robot or something, where a 'version number' would make sense, it just comes off as particularly out of place.

So as for the character's name, I feel like 'Esjitu' makes more sense. My name is still 'SG2', and Hell, I wouldn't even mind it if other characters referred to me as 'SG2' as a sort of tongue-in-cheek jab at how 'Esjitu' sounds like 'S G 2'. So if it would be so loosely enforced, why change it at all? Mostly just to say 'my character is actually called Esjitu and this looks reasonably like a name even if her nickname is fucking l33t5p34k'. And because, from this point on - I want to enforce the rule that new members register under their character's actual name. 'Esjitu' would be more consistent with that rule. Honestly I'd like to say the same as far as formatting the names of some others, like 'MrBones' and 'littlegoten', but I also understand what it's like to not want to change the name you've used for so long (which is also why I've put off this idea for so long as it is), and that's their decision to make. But as the admin and literal FACE of this site (our logo is the SG2 head after all...), I feel like at least I should have a 'proper' sort of name.

Regardless of whether people call me Esjitu or treat 'SG2' as a nickname in-character, I still want to be called 'SG2' out-of-character. As far as I'm concerned that's my name as much as 'Alex' is, to where even my IRL friends will sometimes call me 'SG2' in person because that's how they're most used to addressing me. Me, behind the computer, will always be SG2. It's only my character's name that I think should finally make the jump to sounding like an actual name.

I'm like 90% decided on doing it but I thought I'd gauge peoples' thoughts anyways. What do you guys think? It'd be pretty weird calling me 'Esjitu', huh? And what do you guys think about this sort of rule in general, and reformatting the names of some of our existing characters to be more in keeping with the generally-accepted style of roleplaying sites to have the username match the character's name? I dunno, discuss shit.

The dumb poll choices were mostly done as a throwback to the olden days in the spirit of our 'renewal' project. And because I felt like it.
PMEmail
^
Iris
 Posted on Nov 18 2015, 10:34 AM
Feisty Fairy

online status

Fairy
character race

Lіghtning N/A
element

263 posts
Julia
ooc name

Changing your username would be a good idea. Though I think I would still call you SG2 accidentally due to habit for a while.

I like the idea having SG2 as a nickname in character but I'm afraid that doing things like that, clinging to old jokes will make the site come off as a clique.
PMWebsite
^
Esjitu
 Posted on Nov 18 2015, 01:22 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

I don't really see how SG2 as a nickname for Esjitu (which literally sounds like you're saying the letters 'S' 'G' and the number '2') really counts as an 'old joke' though? It's no different than calling LG or xL by those abbreviations. I don't think 'people have nicknames for each other' = 'the site is a clique'; honestly if we want to combat the clique problem we have much bigger issues that would need to be addressed than my name.
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted on Nov 27 2015, 10:57 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Well the results are in, and it's pretty clear that if pizza's on a bagel you can eat pizza anytime.

More than that, I decided to go for it. I'm henceforth Esjitu, as it should be. Newbies can call me Esjitu, or SG2, or whatever they want. I'll probably still wear the SG2Tiger suit. I dunno, there's stuff that would feel weird to completely change. But I think at least this makes my username on the site look a bit neater, and more like a character name.

I also...decided to change my element from RAINBOW. The backstory no longer exists, and without it, I just come off as pointlessly overpowered...so long, Yag powers. So long.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

skinned by missy at caution and shine.