WELCOME BACK, Guest!!
SG2Tiger
Site Creator | Graphics | Sprites

Alex. Calling me SG2 for OOC stuff is fine too. Freelance artist and general art and graphics hobbyist. I like my animu and mangoes, if you couldn't tell. My video games are my children. Also I like cats.

SG2Tiger | Bracken | Ten
Tim
Tech Support | Domain | Servers | IRC

Tim is currently working on his bio in the meantime enjoy some placeholder words like this and that and the other one and oh that's a pretty cool word too words words words words words

character profile
Iris
Assistant | Greeter

My name is Julia, though you're welcome to call me Iris OOC if you'd like. When I'm not roleplaying I like to read, make jewelry, and eat chocolate.

character profile

Forum Seem Inactive?
Don't worry - we're not dead!! Most of our activity has just moved to DISCORD.
Join Our Server
We’ve even got our own custom bot. Come join us and check it out!! The forum WILL REMAIN available.

Add Reply
New Poll

Whatcha Watchin'?, Reading too but that's not alliterative
Esjitu
 Posted: May 23 2014, 08:01 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Tell us what anime you're currently watching, or what manga you're reading!! Brief synopses and recommendations of course welcome.

So I'm watching three two shows this season (I never seem to pick up more than that), Mekakucity Actors and No Game No Life. I was watching Haikyuu!! but LG wanted to watch it together on Saturgays so I've been waiting for him...

Mekakucity Actors just sounded interesting when I read the synopsis, so I picked it up. Discovered after looking into it more that it's actually based on the Kagerou Project, which started as a series of songs/music videos telling an overarching story, which was followed by light novels written by the songs' creator. I've caught up on the manga and watched all the videos (I actually sought out cover versions and subbed them all out of personal preference, since I really hate the digitized sound of vocaloid), but supposedly the anime plot is going to be slightly different so I'm anxious to see where it goes. So far it's been...very strange, Shaft has a weird style...but the last two episodes were quite good so I'm feeling okay about it.

Then there's No Game No Life, which is about a brother/sister hikkiNEET duo who hate real life and end up getting sucked into a fantasy game world (sounds typical, but that's where the cliches stop). So now they're setting out to basically conquer the game world and defeat the game world's god, because who would actually want to go back to the real world, amirite? It's pretty hilarious and feels like a combination of Yu-Gi-Oh! (remember when it was about all sorts of games and not just card games?) and Death Note (the protag has a 'comedic Light Yagami' vibe) on crack, and there are parodies and references to other series' all over the dang place. It's pretty great.

So what are you watching?
PMEmail
^
Bradios
 Posted: Jun 16 2014, 10:17 PM
His Neutralness

online status

Cyborg
character race

Metal Lіghtning
element

42 posts
Brady or Brad
ooc name

Although, like SG2, I've been following Mekakucity Actors because of my love for the Kagerou Project (which the light novels that the anime is based off have been licensed by Yen Press btw), it's alright, but I wish another studio would have picked this up, Shaft's art style isn't kind to the story imo.

I've also been taking out a lot of series' from my backlog; Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, Hataraku Maou-sama! and DATE A LIVE are just to name a few.

Right now I'm watching the first season of Chuu2Koi, a good series that I heard about while it was airing but never got around to watching. Now that I am watching it I feel bad I didn't sooner.
PM
^
Tim
 Posted: Jun 17 2014, 10:48 PM
Clonomancer

online status

Cat Boy
character race

Lіghtning N/A
element

95 posts
Tim
ooc name

I've been watching the new Fairy Tail this season which i've been loving and has made me go back and start reading the manga from the beginning. It's one of those classic shows I was always told to watch but only really got into earlier this year.

I'm also continuing to follow Hunter x Hunter - the writer has just come back of hiatus again (lol) and it seems like it's promising to be really good right now. I'm super keen for each weeks chapter.
PMEmailWebsite
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Dec 22 2014, 03:56 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Well since Free! was the only show I watched all summer I made it up by watching an overwhelming 7 shows this season:

-Parasyte
-Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis
-Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (thought maybe watching the anime would make me get off my ass and finally read the VN)
-Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka De
-Amagi Brilliant Park
-Gugure! Kokkuri-san
-Akame ga Kill (leftover from summer season)

Everything by Parasyte (which is probably my AOTS) has either already ended or is ending this week.

Akame ga Kill is the only show that disappointed me at all this season, and only because of the ending

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
  I enjoyed it a lot up until around the time Lubbock was killed off; every other death advanced the plot or character development but his felt totally pointless, and everything that happened after that point was lackluster IMO. Killing off Tatsumi in the finale felt completely out of left field, and they even killed Leone after the battle was already over, like they just had to fill some kind of death quota. At first I appreciated how the show didn't play by the usual 'main characters can't die' rules because it kept things interesting but by the end Night Raid was dead but for two people. The finale just made me really angry...but supposedly it diverged from the manga a lot in the end and those characters are still alive in that, so I might pick that up.

SnB:G has actually been really good, like surprisingly good since it's based loosely on that mobile card game Rage of Bahamut and has been another great one this season. Amaburi has been fun, a good balance of the comedy and drama. I don't know why I stuck with Inou-Battle because it seemed super generic from the first few episodes and never really stopped coming off to me as a typical cookie cutter harem comedy, but I've still been enjoying it. FSN might make more sense to me if I'd read the VN (it's supposed to be the second route, I think?) but it's enjoyable enough. And Kokkuri-san ended up being my favorite this season after Parasyte, and a great way to come down off the more dramatic shows with a good laugh. I just watched the finale today and I'm sad to see it go, season 2 never.

So what have other people been watching this season, if anything?
PMEmail
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Mar 29 2015, 08:20 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

Well with the exception of two shows continuing into the spring season (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu and KnB Season 3) all my winter shows are now over...and overall I was really happy with this season. Aside from one show I dropped after 4 episodes I really liked everything I watched.

Parasyte: definite 9/10. I never read the manga (plan to go back and do so now) but the impression I get from what I've seen on /a/ is that, while it (understandably) left certain bits and pieces out, and updated the 80's character designs and aspects to modern ones, it was a very good adaptation overall. Going in as anime-only I found it to be really enjoyable from start to finish, soundtrack was great, animation never really disappointed me, but more importantly the story and characters drove me forward. I looked forward to this more than any other show all fall and winter seasons long and I'm pretty sad to see it go. The final episode was a bit underwhelming for what I was expecting, but the 2-3 just prior to it were fantastic so it didn't really leave me wanting anything. Highly recommend giving this a chance to pretty much anyone.

Bouei-Bu: This show was exactly what it presented itself to be from start to finish so I can't say I was disappointed. It was a magical girl (and anime cliches in general) parody at an all-boy's school loaded to the brim with homoerotic subtext text. Blatant, in-your-face text. I was consistently surprised by how much it continued to outgay itself. The show was upfront about what it was and that's what it was throughout, no more no less. That said, it was hilarious and a lot of fun to watch with LG every week. Gay/10.

Death Parade: Was entertaining. I don't think it's nearly the 'intellectual masterpiece' some people are making it out to be, and I feel like the show tried to do too much with the worldbuilding behind the arbiters and their world that kinda...went nowhere, by the end...all those secondary characters were really just background noise, I felt more attached to the weekly game participants for the most part. But really the show was always about Decim and Onna...and I feel like they both got the most realistic conclusions they could have gotten. End was a bit ambiguous with a potential lead-in for another season...I'd go either way on this. On the one hand, they certainly have more worldbuilding to work with...on the other, what would a new season do that the first didn't already? Especially with regard to Decim. I feel like it'd just be more weekly games with 'twists' everywhere...which don't get me wrong, was entertaining, but I just feel like it'd get stale with another season if they didn't find some way to shake it up. Overall I enjoyed the series, though. Probably 8/10. Also, dat Death Note reference/implication the two take place in the same universe...probably just an in-joke because both are animated by the same studio, but I enjoyed that as a bit of an easter egg

Junketsu no Maria: I enjoyed it, the setting was refreshing from what you usually get. Ending was predictable in some respects but surprised me in others. I can't tell if she was still a witch or not by the end, since she still had her familiars, but... I liked the way a lot of the characters were a moral grey area. Without being too spoily, Galfa definitely did a lot of things that made him a despicable bastard, but even after that I'd have to say he was a good character who was more than just a source of conflict or a foil to Joseph. Show had a good balance of comedy and drama. 8/10. Maria may get the D, but poor Priapus never will

Yoru no Yatterman: Went into this not only knowing nothing about the old 70's Yatterman shows but not even knowing it was a continuation thereof. I can tell I would have enjoyed it more if I got the fucktons of references crammed in there, but even without that it was a really fun ride. The show hooked me from the first episode with the drama and feels, but kept me going on the over-the-top comedy antics of the Doronbow crew.

Finale was exciting, even in spite of the reused animation...a lot of reused animation. Getting the impression they were just strapped for time, though, and it'll probably be fixed for the BD's. Dem insert songs made up for it, though. Bittersweet in the end, but I can't say it left me disappointed. Can't say much more without being spoily, though. 8/10, xL needs to give this one a watch.

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/5jkXyfd.png)

Good season, hope spring can deliver as well as winter did.
PMEmail
^
Iris
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 12:00 PM
Feisty Fairy

online status

Fairy
character race

Lіghtning N/A
element

263 posts
Julia
ooc name

I'm reading Fullmetal Alchemist so far I've only read volumes 1 through 9.
Hopefully I can get my hands on the rest soon, I like it so far.
Might watch one of the series after I'm done with the manga if I have time.
PMWebsite
^
Esjitu
 Posted: Jul 9 2015, 03:41 PM
Administrator

online status

Tiger-Shifter
character race

Fire Earth
element

381 posts
SG2/Alex
ooc name

The first series diverges entirely from the manga at the halfway point, but IMO it's the superior story - I think that's the minority opinion, however, as most people I've ever talked to have preferred the manga/Brotherhood story.

The Brotherhood anime is insanely rushed for the first half, though. I can't believe the amount of praise it gets, honestly, when it literally races through significant emotional moments in the manga at light speed. I figure it's probably because they didn't want to dwell on things that were already animated in the first series, but being that Brotherhood is basically self-contained and there are people who would like to pick it up without having read the manga or seen the first series...it's really unfair to them to have some of those scenes glossed over so fast. It gets better when it finally slows down, but I thought the pacing of the first half kinda ruined a lot of it.
PMEmail
^
Tim
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 12:35 AM
Clonomancer

online status

Cat Boy
character race

Lіghtning N/A
element

95 posts
Tim
ooc name

I suppose it depends whether you watched FMA before Brotherhood. I can definitely see where you are coming from but only because i've seen the original. Other friends of mine who have only watched Brotherhood haven't mentioned anything like that.

I'm currently reading The Seven Deadly Sins, and the new Fairy Tail Zero series :D
PMEmailWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by missy at caution and shine.