WELCOME BACK, Guest!!
SG2Tiger
Site Creator | Graphics | Sprites

Alex. Calling me SG2 for OOC stuff is fine too. Freelance artist and general art and graphics hobbyist. I like my animu and mangoes, if you couldn't tell. My video games are my children. Also I like cats.

SG2Tiger | Bracken | Ten
Tim
Tech Support | Domain | Servers | IRC

Tim is currently working on his bio in the meantime enjoy some placeholder words like this and that and the other one and oh that's a pretty cool word too words words words words words

character profile
Iris
Assistant | Greeter

My name is Julia, though you're welcome to call me Iris OOC if you'd like. When I'm not roleplaying I like to read, make jewelry, and eat chocolate.

character profile

Forum Seem Inactive?
Don't worry - we're not dead!! Most of our activity has just moved to DISCORD.
Join Our Server
We’ve even got our own custom bot. Come join us and check it out!! The forum WILL REMAIN available.

Add Reply
New Poll

[Nation] Mertopia
Lemmy
 Posted: Dec 11 2014, 10:47 PM
Mermaid Prince

online status

Mermaid
character race

Shadow Water
element

12 posts
Lemmy
ooc name

In respose to this suggestion, I have decided to begin indexing a glossary of terms that explain various facets of the Mertopian nation. Such an index will take time to compile into a truly complete directory, but for now please enjoy this preliminary version of what I hope to eventually make into a comprehensive resource document.

The principle categories I envision going forward are:

Artifact, for any object of historical, spiritual or cultural significance to Mertopia

Cuisine, for the local food

Economical, relating to or revolving around Mertopia's economy

Event, descriptions relating to any type of social gathering or observance unique to Mertopia

Location, meant to detail a specific place found only in Mertopia

Political, primarily discussing the monarchy of past and present

Mythological, touching on the various myths and legends that fill the sea

Religion, for anything relating to the Rainbow or some other higher purpose

Wildlife, an explanation for any types of notable non-mermaid dwellers of the deep

And now, let's get started.

A~

Ancients
Mythology
~~~
The first race to live under the sea, predating Mertopia. Thought to be a powerful race of non-humanoids, the Ancients left behind many writings that the general concensus of historians credits as the building blocks for Mertopian invention, society and culture, with some of it still being deciphered and much of it not fully understood. The Ancients are believed to have been destroyed by a cataclysmic event that predates known history, and no evidence of a living Ancient has ever been found. Among their writings, the Ancients included many prophetic tellings that are revered by Mertopian high clerics as visions of the future, including the mysterious Prediction of Ages. In the White Sea, there is a temple believed to house the soul of an Ancient, but no expeditions to verify these claims and explore what could be the only known authentic Ancient ruins have been permitted by the clerics.

B~

The Battle
Mythology
~~~
A secondary prophecy of the Prediction of Ages that, according to legend, will determine the course of the future following a climactic battle between the Mertopian Ancients. Victory for the light forces promises a thousand years of peace and prosperity for Mertopia, known as the Age of the Golden Sea; likewise, their defeat by dark forces promises a Mertopian apocalypse, the Night of Endless Black. Like other aspects of the more imposing Mertopian prophecies, details of when, where and how these events might occur are kept secret by the high clerics; ostensibly so that the signs of the Return of Ancients can't be faked, but more likely because the tablets on which many of these details are inscribed are written in a language that is still being deciphered.

Booze Harvest
Economy
~~~
Booze is one of the primary exports of Mertopia and a sizable import for most other nations, with Mertopian undersea spirits being mixed into many fine wines and other alcohols around the world. The Booze Harvest ensures Mertopia's socioeconomic status as a trade superpower by supplying approximatetely 75% percent of the booze in IGNOLand, grown entirely local by a process of rigorous quality control. No known method of manufacturing Mertopian Booze has been discovered on dry land, thus ensuring its continued value.

C~
(no entries yet)

D~
(no entries yet)

E~
(no entries yet)

F~
(no entries yet)

G~
(no entries yet)

High Clerics
Religion
~~~
The religious leaders of Mertopia, chosen not by the monarchy but instead by their direct predecessors, usually after a lifetime of service to the Rainbow. The High Clerics number twelve and with a unanimous verdict can overrule the monarch for any reason, but this action can be done only once and comes at the cost of immediate resignation thereafter. The High clerics have chosen to keep many details of the Ancient prophecies secret from the general populace for a variety of reasons, ranging from political to religious, but always act in the interests of the greater good.

I~
(no entries yet)

J~
(no entries yet)

K~
(no entries yet)

L~

Lemmy the Beautiful Mermaid
Politics
~~~
A mermaid prince of considerable lore who rose to become one of the most prominent figures of the Mertopian canon and one of many elemental forces of IGNOLand. (Extensive; more info to be added later.)

M~

Mermaid's Tear
Artifact
~~~
It's origins a mystery, the Mermaid's Tear is a blue sapphire stone once held by the Rainbow Mermaid. This sacred object was passed down to his son, who generously donated it to Mertopia's cultural archives at the end of his reign. Discovered many years later to be a talisman holding great influence over the waters, it is thought that the stone is actually one of several rare elemental artifacts relating to the Rainbow.

Mermon the First
Politics
~~~
The first regular monarch following the departure of his father, the Rainbow Mermaid. Mermon enjoyed a successful but mostly uneventful reign; nonetheless, he made a powerful contribution to Mertopia by donating his father's sacred stone, the Mermaid's Tear, to the cultural archives.

Merpizza (or Mermaid Pizza)
Cuisine
~~~
A delicacy of Mertopia whose recipe of preparation is a close-guarded secret even among natives, but is rumored to involve time travel. o_o

Mertopian Grand Palace
By tradition, the primary residence and seat of power for the Mertopian monarch, his court, his servants and any others of his choosing. The large and grandiose Grand Palace is the epicenter of activity in the Mertopian capital city of Swish and can be seen from a seemingly impossible distance, almost always on the horizon from nearly anywhere in the surrounding cities. The Grand Palace can be entered by anyone and the monarch beseeched by appointment. Despite being so massive, the Grand Palace is capable to be moved if the need should ever arise.

N~
(no entries yet)

O~
(no entries yet)

P~
(no entries yet)

Prediction of Ages
Mythology
~~~
The Prediction of Ages is a mythological prognostication that foretells of the Return of the Ancients. The high clerics of Mertopia work in continual preparation for the fulfillment of this prophecy, which promises either a thousand years of peace (Age of the Golden Sea) or a reckoning of ages (Night of Endless Black); the result is dependent upon the outcome of a secondary prophecy called The Battle.

Q~
(no entries yet)

R~

Rainbow Mermaid
Political
~~~
Mer the Unforgettable, more prominently known as the Rainbow Mermaid and named such for his rainbow fin, was the First King of Mertopia, said to have been "chosen" by the Rainbow. The Rainbow Mermaid ruled benevolently over the sea bottom for generations until finally, sensing "the end" (either the end of his era or his own end is a subject of debate for Mertopian historians), he decided to leave and departed for the edge of the city, promising one day to return. His eldest son Mermon the First was chosen as the immediate successor.

S~

shadowgoten
Wildlife
~~~
A living shadow inadvertently created by Lemmy during his studies of the shadow arts. Unlike most other species in Mertopia, the shadowgoten resembles a land creature with two arms and two legs. It is adept at running, swimming and digging, and is capable of respiration on either land or underwater. The shadowgoten has a prodigious chew that it uses to bleed nutrients from prey or chew on toys, having an innate need to grind their teeth as often as possible. Artificially created by magic, the shadowgoten is a species of four known specimens that lives in the Mertopian Grand Palace.

Shell Games
Event
~~~
The Shell Games are a sporting competition that takes place once every ten years. It regularly features events such as fire throwing, ice-making, sandcastle building and the shell race, a closed curcuit race where athletes in their prime do absolutely nothing to necessitate their peak physical conditions as they are pulled on shells by children and the elderly. The Shell Games ceremony lasts for anywhere between one month and three, depending on the tides and the success of the previous year's Booze Harvest.

Yes, it's a sort of backwards pun on Cell Games.

Swish
The capital city of Mertopia and location of the Grand Palace. Swish is named after the "swish" of currents that purportedly sweep through the city due to the constant hustle and bustle of its busy population. Swish is the favored city of the Mertopian monarchy and usually chosen as the inagural (and often annual) site of many societal events, holidays and rituals, such as the Shell Games.

T~
(no entries yet)

U~
(no entries yet)

V~
(no entries yet)

W~

White Sea
A sacred ground of Mertopia. Though it sits at the furthest depths of the sea, it is somehow bright like shallow water and teems with life, lending an air of mysticism that sanctifies the White Sea as one of nine places in IGNOLand that are touched by the Rainbow. Among other things, a temple rests on this floor, is believed to house the soul of an Ancient. The White Sea is listed on no map nor written in any text, its location known only to the high clerics for reasons of the First Prophecy, and has been witnessed only once in the last several thousand years.

X~
(no entries yet)

Y~
(no entries yet)

Z~
(no entries yet)

(Any of you old school IGNO people who remember anything specific that for whatever reason isn't listed here, absolutely feel free to comment. There's a ton I'm either forgetting or just haven't come up with yet, but for the moment I'm pretty fried.)

~Da Lemmy
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by missy at caution and shine.